You may experience changes in your skin and hair as your pregnancy progresses. Some women develop dark patches on the face or their skin may feel darker due to hormonal changes. If you are experiencing the same, it is best that you consult a gynaecologist or a dermatologist at the earliest. Early and timely attention can help you improve your skin.
Few common skin changes during pregnancy are:
- Acne: After the child birth many women lose their pregnancy glow and gain unwanted acne. This occurs due to increased level of estrogens and progesterone which trigger oily skin and clogs the pores. You should consult your doctor about acne treatment.
- The Linea Nigra: Often pregnant woman experience skin discolouration near stomach during pregnancy, this is commonly known as linea nigra. The skin discolouration disappears shortly after the delivery.
- Dry Skin: Dry skin is common in pregnant females who have low thyroid levels during pregnancy. Dry skin can be avoided by the use of quality moisturizer and simultaneous your skin improves with time.
- Spider and Varicose Veins: Spider and varicose veins appear by weakened valves in veins. Due to increased blood flow during pregnancy, the unwanted marks like this tend to occur. Many treatment options are available, but it is important to understand the severity of varicose veins.
- Facial discoloration: During pregnancy and after giving birth, many women encounter dark patches of skin on their face. This condition of facial discoloration is known as chloasma and sometimes it is called as the mask of pregnancy. As your reproductive hormones rises there is increase in the melanin which further increases hyperpigmentation of skin. When your hormones start to balance themselves, then your skin patches start to fade by itself.
- Stretch marks: As your belly size increase so does stretch marks. Use good moisturize which help to maintain stretch marks. Also by maintain healthy weight also helps to wave of stretch marks.
- Skin tags, warts or moles: Warts and skin tags appear after dramatic weight loss. If your mole enlarges and changes its colour, you should contact your doctor.