Your first prenatal visit with your gynecologist will be around eight weeks after your last menstrual period. If you find out you are pregnant then you should consult your gynecologist as soon as possible. During your first prenatal visit with your gynecologist after your check-up, the common questions that you can ask your doctor.
In case this is your second pregnancy, still prenatal visits with your gynecologist are very important as every pregnancy is different from the other. The first or the initial visit with your gynecologist is usually longest visit of all as you will be having millions of questions to ask. This is the best time to ask your doctor about your pregnancy and prenatal care.
Checklist of pregnancy-related questions
You can prepare your checklist of questions like:
- How much weight should I gain during pregnancy and at what rate?
- What is the screening do I need to undergo?
- Do I have any specific risks and complications?
- What type of diet should I follow during pregnancy?
- What should I avoid and what should I eat and drink?
- Is there any restriction on sex during my pregnancy?
- Can I fly while being pregnant?
- What types of exercises should I go for?
- What amount of exercises is safe for me?
- What should I do when I am not feeling well? Spot? Cramp? Fever? etc.
- Can I color my hairs during pregnancy?
- Can I go for a massage or spa? Are there any particular activities that I should avoid?
- Are over the counter medicines safe during pregnancy and in what amounts?
- Which prenatal vitamins do you recommend?
- What symptoms should I expect and how can I manage those symptoms?
- Are antenatal class recommended?
- What position should I use while sleeping?
Be open to your Doctor:
Your gynecologist should be your best friend. Share all your fears, apprehensions and worries with your doctor and be open to the guidance that you receive from her. It would be great if you could involve your spouse also in your journey of motherhood. Do not hide any aspect from your doctor and do not self-medicate.